The $7500 Hatteras (humor item)

1 post / 0 new
#1 June 2, 2009 - 11:25pm
Chuck Gould

The $7500 Hatteras (humor item)

Rumor has it that one of our fellow Queen City Members just scored the super boat deal of all time. He was shopping for a new boat, when he came across the following ad;

"1996 Hatteras, 82-foot convertible. Low hours on twin 1350-HP 16V92 Detroit Diesels. Commercial duty systems in huge engine room. Four saterooms plus crew quarters. $200,000 custom interior upgrade in 2003. Recently surveyed, no unaddressed exceptions. 4075 gallons fuel capacity, tanks are full. $7,500. Price is firm. Cash only."

"The price is obviously mis-printed," thought the member. "I wonder what they really want for that boat?"

The boat shopper called the seller and said, "I'm sorry to bother you, but I noticed your ad for the 82-foot Hatteras convertible. I'm sure the price must be misprinted, what are you asking for the boat?"

The woman on the other end of the line said, "This boat was my husband's pride and joy. Every second he wasn't taking it for a short cruise, he was constantly cleaning, polishing, and fussing around with things. He's gone now, and I just want to get rid of the boat and move on. The price of the boat is seven-thousand, five-hundred dollars. I've got the USCG document in hand, with no liens. I'll warn you up front; I won't dicker, and I will insist that the buyer pay in cash."

Rumor has it the QCYC member almost wrecked his car, (twice), speeding across town to see what had to be the miracle deal of a lifetime. When he arrived at the marina the 1996 Hatteras convertible proved to be every bit as bristol as described. He was floored.

"I'll take it," said the QCYC member as he began counting out $7500. "Your husband must have really loved this boat, he really babied it. But before we finalize the deal, I want to be sure you know that you're selling the boat pretty cheaply, I'd hate to take advantage of a widow."

"Who's a widow?" replied the seller. "I said he was gone, not dead. After almost 50 years of marriage the SOB took off with his 22-year old secretary! They're down in the Bahamas right now, living the high life in a 5-star resort. In fact, I got an email from his just yesterday- it read 'I'm running out of money down here, sell the boat!"